Skip to main content

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

When I first started this blog, my guidelines for the books I would read were that they would be by and about women. Hopefully, I would maximize the amount that the books I read would include and focus on characters who are also otherwise marginalized. Recently I've been thinking about how this limits me, but I'm still not really interested in writing about a bunch of straight, white guys. Luckily, Henry Montague (Monty) is only two of those things and Percy is only one.

I've also been thinking about changing the name of my blog, but I have no idea what I would change it to. So if you have any ideas let me know.

You can order it from Amazon here.

This book follows Henry Montague and his best friend Percy and Monty's younger sister Felicity as they embark on a Grand Tour of Europe. Along their way, they're supposed to drop Felicity off at finishing school in Marseilles. Their tour is turned on its head when Monty steals something he thinks is just a useless trinket and causes his party to be chased by some very important people in French politics chase after them and might even be willing to kill him for it.

One of my favorite things about this book was the wonderful turns of phrase and banter between Monty and the other characters. He's the sort of person who will mouth off to anyone, whether it's a good idea or not and even if it gets him into international trouble. At face value, Monty does seem like a spoiled brat, but the love he has for his best friend Percy is a big part of what makes him still a likable character. Monty is bisexual and in love with his best friend Percy, who is a biracial man who has been raised in an upper-class family. This book doesn't ignore the ways that these marginalized identities would have made some things more difficult for both of them, but there are also people in both of their lives who love and accept them because of who they are and not just in spite of it.

A key example of this is Felicity Montague, who is honestly my hero. And luckily for me (and all of you) the sequel to this book focuses on her and all of her adventures and I couldn't be looking forward to it more. Something about Felicity that's mentioned in the first book as she's first realizing it is the fact that she's asexual. This is something that much more heavily features in the second book, which is great because it's so rare to find asexual characters and I have high hopes.

When I first entered into this book, I was definitely expecting it to be more light hearted than it was, but that's mostly because I started reading it knowing very little about it. Having said that, the novel perfectly balances the banter and expected fun of the Grand Tour with the danger they face on their way and the ways in which society rejects them and makes things more difficult for the three of them because of who they are. Some of the prejudice they face can be difficult to read, but it's always called out on the page.

I've been in such a reading slump for so long and I finished this book in less than two days. This book ultimately made me so happy while I was reading it and I immediately wanted more of it and now I'm upset that the The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy isn't published until October.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...