Skip to main content

My Most Anticipated Releases of Fall 2017

Now that it's getting into August and I start sophomore year of college in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to fall and winter. I'm looking forward to wearing sweaters, partially because last winter was so mild in Alabama that I barely wore any of the sweaters I got for Christmas. I'm also looking forward to some cozy fall reading. Not all books released in the fall are particularly autumnal, but some of them are and I love a good seasonal book. I'm sure I'll be rereading some of my cozy favorites (Harry Potter), but I'm also looking forward to some new books coming out this fall. 

These are in no particular order, but I made sure they're all either very recently released or upcoming so that you won't have already read them. While I am trying to diversify my reading and read about important issues, these are all books I am genuinely planning on buying and reading.

These are the ones I'm looking forward to the most: (photos and descriptions taken from Epic Reads or Amazon)

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart (September 5, 2017)

The story of a young woman whose diabolical smarts are her ticket into a charmed life. But how many times can someone reinvent themselves? You be the judge.

Imogen is a runaway heiress, an orphan, a cook, and a cheat. Jule is a fighter, a social chameleon, and an athlete. An intense friendship. A disappearance. A murder, or maybe two. A bad romance, or maybe three. Blunt objects, disguises, blood, and chocolate. The American dream, superheroes, spies, and villains. A girl who refuses to give people what they want from her. A girl who refuses to be the person she once was.

Buy it here. 
Beasts Made of Night by Tochi Onyebuchi (October 31, 2017)


This is a Nigerian-inspired fantasy, which is something I've never read before. From the synopsis, it seems dark and it comes out on Halloween so I think I'll be preordering it and reading it on the day it comes out since I don't really do much for Halloween, but still like to have some candy and feel a bit spooky. 

Official synopsis:
Debut author Tochi Onyebuchi delivers an unforgettable fantasy adventure that powerfully explores the true meaning of justice and guilt. Packed with dark magic and thrilling action, Beasts Made of Night is a gritty Nigerian-influenced fantasy perfect for fans of Paolo Bacigalupi and Nnedi Okorafor. In the walled city of Kos, corrupt mages can magically call forth sin from a sinner in the form of sin-beasts—lethal creatures spawned from feelings of guilt. 

Buy it here.

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao (October 10, 2017) Buy here.

Synopsis: Xifeng knows that her beauty is power. Her unkind Aunt Guma has foreseen her destiny: That she could become Empress of Feng Lu. But when Xifeng seizes an opportunity to embrace a dark side of herself while attempting to fulfill her aunt's visions, she begins to realize that the wants her destiny to come true: no matter the cost, and no matter who she hurts or manipulates.

Dear Martin by Nic Stone (October 17, 2017) Buy here.

Justyce, also known as Jus, begins writing letters to Martin Luther King Jr. after a scary, discriminatory incident with the police. Jus is a smart kid who attends a mostly white prep school and has dreams of attending an Ivy League university. Yet, he begins to wonder if the world truly does see him as a good because of the color of his skin. After the incident, Jus begins reflecting upon the daily microaggressions he experiences, especially those that come from a certain group of classmates.

Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu (September 19, 2017) Buy here.
Vivian Carter is fed up. Fed up with an administration at her high school that thinks the football team can do no wrong. Fed up with sexist dress codes, hallway harassment, and gross comments from guys during class. But most of all, Viv Carter is fed up with always following the rules.
Viv's mom was a tough-as-nails, punk rock Riot Grrrl in the '90s, and now Viv takes a page from her mother's past and creates a feminist zine that she distributes anonymously to her classmates. She's just blowing off steam, but other girls respond. As Viv forges friendships with other young women across the divides of cliques and popularity rankings, she realizes that what she has started is nothing short of a girl revolution.

Invictus by Ryan Graudin (September 26, 2017) Buy it here.

Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The son of a time traveler from 2354 AD and a gladiator living in ancient Rome, Far's very existence defies the laws of nature. All he's ever wanted was to explore history for himself, but after failing his entrance exam into the government program, Far will have to settle for a position on the black market-captaining a time-traveling crew to steal valuables from the past.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...