Skip to main content

Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa

Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Release Date: September 8, 2015 
Synopsis:
Mira is starting over at Saint Francis Prep. She promised her parents she would at least try to pretend that she could act like a functioning human this time, not a girl who can’t get out of bed for days on end, who only feels awake when she’s with Sebby.
Jeremy is the painfully shy art nerd at Saint Francis who’s been in self-imposed isolation after an incident that ruined his last year of school. When he sees Sebby for the first time across the school lawn, it’s as if he’s been expecting this blond, lanky boy with mischief glinting in his eye.
Sebby, Mira’s gay best friend, is a boy who seems to carry sunlight around with him. Even as life in his foster home starts to take its toll, Sebby and Mira together craft a world of magic rituals and impromptu road trips, designed to fix the broken parts of their lives.
As Jeremy finds himself drawn into Sebby and Mira’s world, he begins to understand the secrets that they hide in order to protect themselves, to keep each other safe from those who don’t understand their quest to live for the impossible. 

Review: 
This is a book which will make your heart ache. It is beautifully written without using overly flowery language. Each of the three main characters is compelling in their own way. It also includes important discussions about mental illness. The narrative ensures that it is clear that mental illness is never the fault of the person with the illness. 

The book also includes several gay characters who think about their sexuality uniquely and while some of them suffer with it, not all of them do. Even though Sebby is referred to as Mira's "gay best friend" in the synopsis, this is not how he is portrayed in the book. The narrative doesn't shy away from the fact that Sebby is gay, and he's also an unapologetic flirt, but he isn't written as a caricature. 

Each of the three main characters is written in a different point of view, which I found very interesting. Jeremy's chapters are in first person, Mira's are in third and Sebby's are written in the second person. I'm sure there are other books written this way, but I've never read one written this way. Playing with point of view can be difficult but I think Scelsa did this really well. It helped differentiate between the characters and each character's voice was unique, though the overall tone of the book was cohesive. 

There aren't very characters who are explicitly characters of color but Mira comes from an interracial family. It is explicitly discussed that her father is black and her mother is white. It discusses her sister embracing her natural hair and a host in a restaurant assuming their mother is not related to them. She is also drawn as biracial on the cover despite the fact that only her legs are visible. 

This book is not a page turner, but rather keeps you invested emotionally. The end was gripping in its own way and it was a powerful and fitting ending. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...