Skip to main content

February Favorites

I'm hoping to have a new book review soon, but I thought I'd put up another monthly favorites post to fill the gap. I didn't get to read much this weekend because I had to write two papers and study for a test, but I'm hoping to get back to reading now.

Jane the Virgin
This month, I started watching Jane the Virgin and I haven't been able to stop. I'm on season 2 right now and I keep staying up too late so that I can keep watching it. While it's unclear whether the creators were actively trying to have a feminist message in their show, but there are still a large number of wonderful female characters. Central to the story are the three Villanueva women. Despite having a main character who is waiting until marriage to have sex, the show does not slut shame its characters who do have sex and often confronts slut shaming head on.

Stuff Mom Never Told You
Since Witch, Please, my other favorite feminist podcast, is on hiatus, I've started listening to Stuff Mom Never Told You which is a podcast produced by How Stuff Works. It's hosted by Caroline Ervin and Cristen Conger and they discuss topics such as feminist pioneers, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, women in STEM, and other feminist issues. Their episodes are informational and entertaining. They do extensive research for each topic and post all of their sources on their website so that you can learn even more about the topics. Each episode is about 40 minutes to an hour and I love to listen to them while I'm driving. There actually aren't new episodes coming out because the hosts are writing a book and moving onto other projects, but they have a huge backlog of episodes.

What have you been enjoying this month?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...