Skip to main content

Book Review: Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley

Title: Lies We Tell Ourselves
Author: Robin Talley
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: September 30th 2014
I'd heard about this book online a lot and had wanted to pick it up for a while and finally did once I had enough money. 

Synopsis:

In 1959 Virginia, the lives of two girls on opposite sides of the battle for civil rights will be changed forever.

Sarah Dunbar is one of the first black students to attend the previously all-white Jefferson High School. An honors student at her old school, she is put into remedial classes, spit on and tormented daily.

Linda Hairston is the daughter of one of the town's most vocal opponents of school integration. She has been taught all her life that the races should be kept separate but equal.

Forced to work together on a school project, Sarah and Linda must confront harsh truths about race, power and how they really feel about one another.

Boldly realistic and emotionally compelling, Lies We Tell Ourselves is a brave and stunning novel about finding truth amid the lies, and finding your voice even when others are determined to silence it.




Review:
I'm a bit late to the party when it comes to Lies We Tell Ourselves, but I finally got the chance to read it and I absolutely loved it.

We begin the book from the point of view of Sarah Dunbar, one of the young adults integrating Jefferson High School. When Sarah and the other students chosen to integrate Jefferson reach the school, there is a mob of segregationists waiting for them. Police officers are there, supposedly to protect the black students from the protesters, but they stand by doing nothing and are only there for the first day, despite the fact that the harassment continues until the end of the year and only gets worse. 

In the second section of the book, we hear from Linda Hairston, a sworn segregationist. Being inside her head shows that even seemingly kind, well-educated people could be just as racist and harmful to people of color as more stereotypical, backwoods, ignorant people could be. Being a seemingly nice person doesn't mean you can't be racist. 

Reading Linda's POV, at least for the first few chapters was nauseating. When we were reading Sarah's POV I never wanted to put the book down, but during Linda's first chapters, I could hardly make myself pick it up. This is how realistically and unflinchingly Robin Talley depicts the racism of the time. Everyone who says they wish they were born in the 50's or acts as if racism ended when slavery did should be required to read Lies We Tell Ourselves. 

Something else to note is that without spoiling anything, this book features a lesbian romance that doesn't end in death or disaster and we don't have enough of those. 

I loved loved this book and I think you will too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...