Skip to main content

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

One of the main things on my Christmas wishlist this year was books, of course. As much as I'm looking forward to getting some of the books I asked for, the fact that it's getting closer to Christmas means I can't buy any books for myself right now. First of all, I need that money to buy presents for other people, and second of all, I can't buy presents for myself this close to Christmas. So basically all my book wishes are on hold until I see what I get for Christmas.

All is not lost, though. Today I got two books from the library that I'm happy about. Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead and The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma. I've been hearing a lot about Nova Ren Suma and saw both of these books on a Book Riot list of books about dancers and knew I had to have them. If I love them enough, I may have to later buy myself my own copies so I can keep them forever and make notes in them. In addition to having heard of Nova Ren Suma before, I'm currently working on a project where one of the main characters is a dancer and so lately I've been trying to read more stories about dancers to get inspiration. If you have any suggestions or tips, leave them in the comments.

I recently signed up for an account on NetGalley where "professional readers" can request early copies of books from publishers. When I made my account, I requested almost every YA book about a girl I could find. So far, two of my requests have been approved and I'm really excited about it.

I've also been reading Red Queen  by Victoria Aveyard and I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm enjoying it so you can look forward to seeing reviews of it and the two e-galleys I received soon!

- Carly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...