Skip to main content

What I'm Reading Right Now

I've finally begun reading In the Aferlight by Alexandra Bracken, the conclusion to the Darkest Minds trilogy. I've been waiting to read this book for months and while I had some trouble starting this book, I'm excited to find out what happens to Ruby Daly and the other characters.

Before I read The Darkest Minds, I was, like many people, a bit tired of dystopian/post-apocalyptic Young Adult novels. While The Darkest Minds didn't lead me to search out all of the dystopian novels I hadn't yet heard of, it reminded me that not all of them are stale and over-hyped. I heard of this book through friends rather than through the media, and I think that difference is what convinced me to give The Darkest Minds a try. I certainly trust my friends more than any publication claiming they've found "the next big thing." Even if they're right, the big thing isn't always the best thing.

If you've noticed that I haven't described the premise of the book, that's not an accident. I went into this book based off of my faith in my friends and not much else. Whenever I can, I use the first few pages of the book rather than the dust jacket to decide if I'm going to read a book or not because sometimes the dust jacket doesn't do a book justice, or it gives away a key plot point. I don't remember if the synopsis of The Darkest Minds does this, but I suggest you read the first few pages the next time you see it at a bookstore and you'll find that it's a great book and that, like many synopses, I haven't done the book justice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonder That Is NetGalley

I've recently joined NetGalley which is a website where so-called "professional readers" (read: bloggers, librarians, booksellers, etc.) can request print ARCs and e-galleys from publishers. Of course, this is not the only way to request books from publishers. Sometimes bloggers are sent books from publishers without having to ask, but I have not reached that level yet. The other way to get advanced copies is to email the publisher directly and ask for a copy. To do this, you have to write out a whole, official email telling them about yourself and your blog and asking for a copy, which can be very intimidating. I have requested books from publishers directly and I do plan on continuing to do this (it's how I got my copy of Tonight the Streets Are Ours  by Leila Sales) but NetGalley is a great option. You get a faster response and you don't have to write out a whole email. There are a lot of books available to request, especially ones you might not have known ...

Book Review: Paisley Memories by Zelle Andrews

Title:   Paisley Memories: The Beginning of Me Author: Zelle Andrews Synopsis: At seventeen, Tess Cooper was a high school drop-out, an orphan, and a single mom to a baby girl with Down syndrome. The next two years didn’t turn out like she thought it would.   After her dad’s death, she flees Brooksville, Alabama, in his beloved 1957 Thunderbird before the red clay on his grave can settle. A year of traveling from place to place brings Tess and Paisley to the deep fried, southern town of Panacea, Florida, where her money runs out.  A stranger, named Butterball, takes them in and gives Tess a job taking pictures at Wakulla Springs State Park and the annual Sopchoppy Work Grunting Festival.   Afraid to trust these people, Tess plans to leave, but the T-bird is stolen and she is forced to stay. Paisley is thriving on all the attention. Tess weighs her options. Can she give her baby what she needs? Should she put down roots in this place where she has fou...

Spring Reads 2019

I'm coming up to the end of my semester which is a relief. The most exciting part is that I'll finally have time to read! I'm also planning on finally playing some of the video games that the Internet and my boyfriend have been telling me to play for forever.  I thought I would share with y'all the books I'm most looking forward to reading as soon as my exams are over.  Also, for the sake of transparency, the links in this post are affiliate links to Amazon. These don't change the price for you, but I do get a percentage of the cost of anything you buy through the link. It would be great if you used these links, but please feel free to buy these books however you want or get them at your local library.  I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver May 28, 2019 Buy from Amazon When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husb...